Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The House Chronicles, Part 1

Among the variety of interesting things happening this semester, we are buying a house. 

Yes, we are buying a house. And by we, I mean my parents, since it's very cheap at the moment and makes a fairly good investment. It's important to note, however, that the house is located near our university, and Jessica and I (along with our friends Morgan, Talley, and Matt) will be the ones living in it. 

Therefore, I thought it would be a great idea to document this. After all, there is much to be learned in the process, and while I might not really be involved much in the "buying" part of it, I will help with the cleaning up and building and fixing and all that.

Here's where we're at now: we found a bunch of nearby houses that were posted in our price range. We visited said houses, and then visited them again with my parents. They then contacted the people about the houses we wanted. The first guy didn't respond to our offer. The second did, and that is currently the house we're looking at. 

This last weekend we did a full inspection. Mom and Dad showed us a few things, such as checking all the plugs, looking for water damage, checking the roof, etc. While that was going on, I took some pictures.
Here's what we have so far:

^ Jessica in front of the house, with its porch and little gas lamp :) 

^Brick road ftw 

^Porch, with little hooks for a swing. Bringin' back the front porch culture! 

^The front room. 

^It's an old house, with old light switches. And by switches, I mean buttons. 

^There's a branch painted on the wall in the dining room. Still not sure how I feel about it 

^Bathroom 

^One of the two bedrooms 

^Kitchen 

^Super ugly wallpaper in the little hallway on the way to the basement. I love it. 

^basement

^more basement. Probably will become a bedroom. 

^still more basement 

^lots o' basement


More updates to come over the course of the semester! 

No comments:

Post a Comment